Balance Bike
Today the children wanted to get the balance bikes out and
ride around the bike track. They got the bikes out of the shed and talked
amongst themselves about which bike they wanted as some were smaller than
others. I watched as a group of boys were going up the ramp and they were using
their legs to get them up the ramp. As they came down the ramp they steered the
bike around the corner in the direction that the bike track goes.
I watched the boys do this over and over again and watched
how they needed to do a number of different things at the same time to get the
bike to go. Balancing on the bike while moving which is also known as dynamic
balancing and is good for motor development (Bullard, 2010). They needed to move their legs to make the
wheels turn and the bike move. Steering the bike is another important part of
riding a bike so they can move in the direction they want to move and stop from
crashing into things. By children riding bikes builds on a number of different
skills such as co-ordination, physical skills, muscle strength and spatial awareness
(Bullard, 2010).
I can see how a child can gain so much confidence when they ride a bike, and how they use their body to help with the whole process. Ministry of Education (1996) states that through exploration children develop increasing control over their bodies, including development of loco motor skills, non-loco motor skills, manipulative skills, increasing agility, co-ordination, and balance (p.86).
I can see how a child can gain so much confidence when they ride a bike, and how they use their body to help with the whole process. Ministry of Education (1996) states that through exploration children develop increasing control over their bodies, including development of loco motor skills, non-loco motor skills, manipulative skills, increasing agility, co-ordination, and balance (p.86).
I have seen how bikes have changed over the years and the
balance bikes shows how technology changes and evolves. The balance bike is technology as it is a tool that can be used to get us from one place to another and quicker than walking.The New Zealand Curriculum (2007) states that technological practice is about innovation and adaption and that's what has been done with the balance bike. It has been adapted from the two wheeler bicycle as it has no pedals and focuses on balance rather than the peddling. These balance bikes are also made out of wood which is another adaption.
I thought about how important it is to have bikes in early childhood centres as some children may not be fortunate enough to have a bike at home. I also see at my preschool how the younger children are learning from the older children.This is where tuakana-teina relationships provides opportunities for the younger children to learn from the older children (Clark & Grey, 2010). The younger children may learn to ride a bike faster if they are around older or more experienced peers than if they were to learn alone. My last preschool I worked at did not have bikes and I can see the enjoyment that children get from them and the skills they learn well riding them.
The bike track at preschool provides children with the opportunity to ride bikes together, follow rules and experience different surfaces such as the stones, ramp and also the tunnel.
Reference List
I thought about how important it is to have bikes in early childhood centres as some children may not be fortunate enough to have a bike at home. I also see at my preschool how the younger children are learning from the older children.This is where tuakana-teina relationships provides opportunities for the younger children to learn from the older children (Clark & Grey, 2010). The younger children may learn to ride a bike faster if they are around older or more experienced peers than if they were to learn alone. My last preschool I worked at did not have bikes and I can see the enjoyment that children get from them and the skills they learn well riding them.
The bike track at preschool provides children with the opportunity to ride bikes together, follow rules and experience different surfaces such as the stones, ramp and also the tunnel.
Reference List
Bullard, J. (2010). Creating Environments for Learning
(Chapter 17, pp. 326-251). Upper Saddle River, NJ: Pearson Education.
Clark,
B., & Grey, A. (Eds.).(2010). Perspectives on early childhood education:
Ata kitea te pae- scanning the horizon. Rosedale, North Shore, New Zealand:
Pearson Education
Ministry of Education. (1996). Te whāriki, he whāriki mātauranga mo nga mokopuna o Aotearoa: Early childhood curriculum. Wellington, New Zealand: Learning Media
Ministry of Education, (2007).Technology Retrieved from http://nzcurriculum.tki.org.nz/Curriculum-documents/The-New-Zealand-Curriculum/Learning-areas/Technology.
| The Bike Track |
| The ramp to go up |
| The ramp to go down |
I also believe that the use of bicycles in a centre is highly important Kirstie. It assists children with skills that are fundamental to their development and allows them to take risks (Greenfield, 2011). At my centre we have skateboards, which also develop motor skills, but a bicycle is something that has been around for many years and will probably still be there when the children we teach become adults. I also like how you have mentioned tuakana-teina relationships in your blog, as this is something I feel very strongly about. I like mixed-age centres because peer education can play a huge role and means that children can also share knowledge with each other (Clark & Grey, 2010). What is your personal connection to bicycles? Do you have one yourself and do you promote the use of them within your own family?
ReplyDeleteI love the balance bikes and think your blog about them is really good, you talk about all the skills that children develop from them. I like how you gave the children the choice for what bike they wanted and you didn’t just dish them out to the children. I have seen children at my centre go from balance bikes straight to a pedal two wheeler bike because they have develop awesome balance and physical skills. Children like to master new tasks through play and the balance bike allows children to persist with what they are doing (Wardle, 2008). Bikes have changed over the years and balance bikes provide children with many opportunities, although I still believe that we should have some pedal bikes in our centres. What do you think? I really enjoyed looking at the photos of your bike track in your centre and you are so lucky to have that, it is awesome!
ReplyDeleteI really enjoyed reading your blog about the balance bikes I found this most interesting because we do not have these at our centre and I haven’t really seen them before. How many different sized balance bikes do your have a your centre? Do you think that the balance bikes are a good transition to a two-wheeler bike rather than using training wheels? Also do you think that it being made out of wood is a good or bad thing?. I really liked how you talked about the younger children learning from the older children and having Tuakana-tenia relationships I also see these relationships forming at my centre and I think they are really important. When children are working with and along side each other they are appreciating each other different physical needs and abilities( Ministry of Education, 1996)I really liked the photos at the end of the blog showing the bike ramp it looks really nice and a place that would get lots of use.
ReplyDeleteWhat an amazing bike track at your centre, it looks like it’s a good challenging course for the children. Bikes have changed so much over the years, when I was a child I learnt to ride with trainer wheels but my own children began to ride with balance bikes. I love balance bikes and can see the benefits of both types. Using balance bikes is a great way of developing the vestibular system and also involves the movement and co-ordination of large muscle groups and also helping with the development of gross motor skills (Oliver & McLauchlan, 2006). At my centre we only have trikes with pedals which I also think is important to develop coordination with the pedals and we find it helps children with additional needs to be able to ride on the bikes. Trikes help children to sit on the bike unaided and attempt to push the pedals themselves. Do you have pedal bikes as well or just balance bikes? Should there be a mixture of these types of bikes in the early childhood setting? What do you think?
ReplyDeleteYou'll not single make the boy confident but furthermore help him in order to recognize riding a great bike. your shipment is usually completed free connected with cost, thereby reducing the tension. My Home
ReplyDelete